Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday, August 20th, 2010

So . . . What is it that you do?

I cringe when people ask me this question.  When 'catching up' with old friends, meeting someone new, or even a question from a stranger about my website logo.  I have no idea how to sum up everything that I do.  I usually just pick one and roll with it, if they are really interested in getting to know me they will find out the full scoop. 

Once during a catch up with you session at a funeral, an old classmate handed me his business card.  He holds an impressive title as Presidental Security IT--ok, big muck, muck--- at a renown Bank in the Big City (Not knocking it--He is brilliant).   When it was my turn, I stated that I worked from home and that I contracted with various clients.  I kid you not, he said "So you're a hooker"?  It was hilarious!  I really have to rethink that response for next time. 

I wear many hats.  Generally, I am wife and mom.  I do W-O-R-K from home as well.  My "Clients" include a few small businesses that contract certain administrative/bookeeping work to me part time/on call.  It is flexible for me and cost effective for them.  I can work from home mostly from my laptop and phone.  I like that it keeps me connected to the former administrative world that I once knew and helps to pay the bills.


Did I mention that we homeschool?  Darren works the second shift, so his help is priceless.  I don't know how to catagorize us, Relaxed Homeschoolers may fit pretty well.  I would like to adapt more unschooling principles but still hold on to some traditional homeschooling as well.  I want my children to relax and have fun learning.  There are so many opportunities for learning and discovery and those are not limited to the textbook. 

Now my passion is handcrafted jewelry and I do not have the time to work that part of the business like I would want to. I am hoping to find some time to get back into that in the near future and get my online store bulked back up. I have this friend, who keeps introducing me to all of these other easy crafty ideas. And then there is the Etsy influence that I always think "I can do that! No one does that around here." I want to have time to do some of those things and I keep telling myself that if I will just get organized then I will have more time . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment